Students from area schools and adults 18 and over are invited to submit original poems for the 18th Annual Laredo Poetry Festival. This year’s central theme is “This Too Shall Pass,” but participants may submit a work on any theme or topic they wish to write about. Contestants will be divided by age and grade level and works will be reviewed by a panel of judges. Three winners and two honorable mentions will be selected in each category.
In light of the COVID-19 situation in our community, participants may register and submit their work entirely online using the link below or submit their works curbside at the Laredo Public Library Main Branch. The required forms are available for download below.
Rules of Participation:
- Poems must be original; plagiarized poems will be disqualified.
- Poems may be written in any format.
- Poems should be no longer than 2 pages, double-spaced.
- Submit 2 copies of your poem, 1 with no name on it.
- Only one entry per individual person will be accepted; no co-authors of a poem will be accepted.
- No poem will be accepted through fax.
- The application form needs to be filled out.
- The parents or legal guardian will fill out the Release Form for students under 18.
The deadline for submitting poems is Tuesday, March 2, 2021, by 6:00 p.m. at the Laredo Public Library (Main Branch). The top 3 winners in each group will submit a video reading their poems by April 02, 2021. Winner and honorable mentions will receive prizes, a gift bag that can be picked up at Laredo Pubic Library (Main Branch).
All participants will receive certificates of participation.
The Laredo Poetry Festival is proudly sponsored by:
Diocese of Laredo Catholic Schools Friends of the Library Laredo College Laredo Independent School District Laredo Public Library Texas A & M International University United Independent School District Harmony Public Schools Laredo
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING POEMS IS TUESDAY, MARCH 2, 2021