In 1916, the City-governed Public Library was first
housed in a room above City Hall, now known as Market Hall
In 1974,the Laredo Public Library moved to the historic
Bruni Plaza on the corner of Washington and San Bernardo to occupy
the former Laredo Chamber of Commerce building. In November of 1993,
Laredoans passed a bond to build a New Main Library. The new building,
located at the northeast corner of Calton & McPherson Roads,
opened to the public on February 1, 1998.
The Laredo Public Library Today
The Laredo Public Libraries features a 60,000 sq.
ft. main library and two branches that serve the City of Laredo.
Each building houses a growing library collection, computers and